This is an excerpt from our paper Revenue Management: Essential for monetizing current and future services. Download the paper for further insight.
Over the past decade, CSPs have attempted to monetize data with varying levels of success. These can be summarized under four distinct models as illustrated in the table below.
None of the models is perfect or predominantly successful. Each has shortfalls and requires greater development and refining. The missing elements for effective data monetization include:
- Greater personalization – putting control in the hands of the customer
- Measurement of total cost and revenue; success cannot be judged simply by a one-off ARPU increase
- Greater choice of pricing
- Effective revenue settlement to partners
- Greater information about network status and customers
- Future growth plan – data monetization cannot be a one-time play